|» Salary Negotiation… Do's
Here are the keys to successful salary negotiation. Follow
these simple rules and you should achieve success in this
important strategic tool of job-hunting.
• Do make sure you've done your research on the salary you
should expect for the position you're
• Do be aware of your strengths and achievements. And do be
sure to demonstrate the value you'll
bring to the employer.
• Do let the employer make the first salary offer. And do,
if asked, say you expect a salary that is
the market -- or give a salary range that you find acceptable.
• Do thank the employer for the offer when it is made, but
don't try to negotiate right after the offer
• Do take the time to consider all factors before making any
job offer decisions.
• Do try to obtain other concessions (shorter review time,
better title, better workspace) or benefits
time) if you aren't successful at negotiating a salary you
• Do get the offer in writing.
• Don't bring up salary before the employer does. And do delay
salary negotiation for as long as
possible (until you know
exactly what the position entails).
• Don't inflate your current earnings just to get a higher
• Don't feel obligated to accept the first salary offer. And
do negotiate salary if the offer made is
• Don't get overly aggressive in negotiating the salary you
• Don't just focus on salary. Do look at the entire compensation
• Don't enter salary negotiations as part of an ego trip or
part of a game.
• Don't accept the first acceptable salary offer you receive
if you're not sure about the job or the